Get Started Using BEopt
- Download BEopt and EnergyPlus or DOE-2. Once they are installed, start BEopt and select either New Construction or Retrofit mode.
- Geometry screen. Click and drag to draw your building floor plan.
- Options screen. Select building component options to analyze in each category (wall insulation, air leakage, air conditioner efficiency, and so on). In Design mode, one option per category can be selected. In Parametric and Optimization modes, multiple options per category can be selected by Control- or Shift-clicking.
- Site screen. Specify location, utility rates, and economic parameters.
- Click the Run button to start running simulations. The first time you run simulations, you will be prompted to point to the installation directory for EnergyPlus or DOE-2. This setting is also accessible from Tools > Settings > Simulation Engines.
- Output screen. The optimization curve is displayed in the upper left. Each point represents a different design and can be selected to examine the breakdown of energy end uses (bottom left) and the descriptions and costs of the options making up that design (right side of screen).
For more help getting started, watch the training videos.
Enter your comments in the box below:
(Please note that all comments are subject to review prior to posting.)
While we will do our best to monitor all comments and blog posts for accuracy and relevancy, Home Energy is not responsible for content posted by our readers or third parties. Home Energy reserves the right to edit or remove comments or blog posts that do not meet our community guidelines.