Frequently Asked Questions
- What kinds of online subscriptions do you offer?
We have three kinds of online subscriptions. Our one-month online subscription provides access to all articles in the current issue only. Our one and two-year subscriptions (online only as well as combination print and online) provide ongoing unlimited access from any computer to everything on our website including back issues. And lastly, our site license grants you access to everything on our website without logging in; we can provide this type of subscription to any static IP address or range.
- 3. Do print subscribers get free access to your website?
Much of our website is available without a subscription, but the premium content, or locked, articles do require an online-only subscription, a site license, or a combination print-and-online subscription to be fully accessible.
- I am not a subscriber. What can I access for free?
Each issue generally offers the Editorial, Letters, New and Notable, and the Calendar, which are available to read without charge. Occasionally we will also offer web-exclusive articles, which are free to all readers. In addition, you can access our blog and past issues before 2000 without charge.
- How are subscriptions billed?
Home Energy accepts Purchase Orders for Group or Bulk Subscriptions but requires payment with check or credit card from all other subscribers at the time the subscription begins.
- Can I share my online subscription?
Single-user online subscriptions may be shared with one other person. Offices needing to share online access with several people up to a large group require a site license.
- What is a site license and who should get one?
A site license allows access to the entire Home Energy website without having to log in with a user name and password. Although any single person may purchase one, we recommend this option for offices where multiple people would like to access Home Energy online, with two options as follows: single site (building) with multiple computer access; or multiple sites (buildings) with multiple computer access, such as a university or research campus where a diversity of academic departments would like access.
- When I go on vacation, can I suspend my subscription?
Yes. Call and let us know when you would like to stop and restart your subscription.
- Why should I sign up for your e-newsletter?
Our bi-monthly e-newsletter offers content to our readers that they cannot find anywhere else. It will provide you with the latest updates and promotional offers as well as give a brief overview of what's happening in the industry. Also, it's completely free! You can sign up on our home page.
- Do you offer free trial subscriptions?
No, not at this time. Sometimes free 1-month online subscriptions are offered to attendees at conferences where HEM has a presence; or are offered in our monthly e-newsletters.
- How can I purchase a gift for someone else?
Our online shopping cart can accommodate gift subscriptions as well as two-party subscriptions where the billing party is not the ship-to customer. When we fill a gift order, we send a gift card along with the purchase.
- How can I change my address or contact information?
If you have an online or combo subscription to Home Energy, you can log in to your account and change your contact information. If you have a print-only subscription, please mail or email us your change of address or other contact information.
- I missed getting the last issue. Who do I contact?
Please call or email email@example.com and let us know which issue you are missing. We will want to reconfirm your mailing address at that time.
- Can I print and distribute articles from the website?
No. Energy Auditor and Retrofitter, Incorporated, grants authorization to photocopy material from Home Energy Magazine for internal or personal use under circumstances that do not violate the fair use provisions of the copyright act. For permission to reprint, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 1250 Addison Street, Suite 211B, Berkeley, CA 94702.
- I'm having problems finding an article printed some time ago. Can you help me?
You can do a search on our website by keywords to find past Home Energy articles, as well as by checking the menu drop-down categories on our home page. If you cannot locate what you are looking for, feel free to email or phone us for assistance at 510-524-5405.
- I have a suggestion for your website. Who can I contact?
- Do you have any retail locations?
- What methods of payment do you accept?
We accept check and PayPal, as well as Visa, MasterCard, and American Express credit cards.
- When will my credit card be charged for my order?
Online orders are processed immediately; phone orders are processed within 48 hours.
- Do you charge sales tax on all orders?
We charge sales tax to California residents for all products with the exception of subscriptions.
- When can I expect my first issue to arrive?
Your first issue should arrive within 10-15 business days, and sometimes sooner.
- When can I expect my book or back issue to arrive?
Your product order should arrive within 5-10 business days.
- How can I track my shipment?
We use the USPS for most orders and they cannot be tracked. Please contact us if you haven't received your order within expected arrival times.
- Can I have a receipt for my order?
Yes. If you input your email address into your online order, you will receive a confirmation email showing your order. We can also issue a receipt if you order by phone or mail per your request.
- Can I request an invoice for my order?
Yes. Please let us know to whom the invoice should be sent, and if different, the contact information for the customer receiving the order. We can email, fax or mail you the invoice. Unless you have a group or bulk subscription order, we await your payment before processing the order.
- How will my order be shipped?
We use USPS to mail products. You may request that we send your order via UPS ground; we will let you know what the cost is.
- What is your cancellation policy?
If you are not satisfied with your first issue of Home Energy Magazine, let us know and we will refund your payment in full. After the second issue is mailed, any cancellation with refund request will be granted the remaining value of the subscription minus an automatic $10 processing fee.
- Can I get access on my Smartphone or tablet? What kinds of devices are supported?
With a subscription, over 1 year of digital editions of Home Energy magazine are readable on iPhone, iPad and other portable Android tablets with Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari web browsers. Did you know that you can read Home Energy as a PDF on your tablet or smartphone? While our magazine has been available as a digital download for some time, you can now download the issue as a PDF.
Here's how it works:
- While in the digital version, click "Menu" in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select the "PDF" option.
- After the issue downloads, save the PDF to your chosen location.
Benefits of this feature include access to the magazine without Internet connection, page-flipping capabilities, and the option to save the PDF into iBooks, allowing you to have your own digital bookshelf.
- I'm interested in writing for Home Energy Magazine. How can I do that?