NV Energy's mPowered Residential Integrated Demand Side Management Program
EcoFactor recently announced third-party measurement and verification results from its deployment of NV Energy’s mPowered residential integrated demand side management (IDSM) program, with more than 22,000 customers so far. The report, filed with the PUC of Nevada by NV Energy, confirms that in 2013 EcoFactor reduced A/C usage by 11%. The EcoFactor solution accomplished all of this while maintaining consumer comfort and saving them an average of $100 per year.
Demand Response (DR): EcoFactor reduced summer peak load requirements by more than 4kW per home and 2.7 kW per thermostat, which consisted of event-based reductions of 3.5kW per home and 2.37kW per thermostat, plus ongoing efficiency-based reductions of 0.6kW per home and 0.4kW per thermostat.
Energy Savings: EcoFactor’s 11% reduction in A/C usage contributed to a combined 1,162.4 kWh in electricity and equivalent gas heating savings per home, which translated to roughly $100 per home in annual savings.
EcoFactor DR and EE Achieved High Demand (kW) and Energy (kWh) Savings
- Annual savings from DR and EE (electric and gas) averaged 635 kWh and 18 therms (equivalent to 527 kWh) per home, which amounted to an average yearly savings of about $100 for mPowered customers.
- EcoFactor reduced summer peak load requirements by more than 4kW per home and 2.7kW per thermostat, which consisted of event-based reductions of 3.5kW per home and 2.37kW per thermostat, plus ongoing efficiency-based reductions of at least 0.6kW per home and 0.4kW per thermostat.
- During summer 2013, EcoFactor saved mPowered customers 94.7 kWh per month and achieved AC energy savings of 11%, compared to a control group that included homes with programmable thermostats.
EcoFactor DR + EE Approach Drove Sustained Participation and High Customer Satisfaction
- NV Energy dispatched and the mPowered program successfully delivered 28 DR events in 2013, including a stretch of eight consecutive days with DR events.
- EcoFactor customers initiated 12% fewer manual overrides as compared to the customers of the most comparable program in the study.
- NV Energy’s customer survey showed that the program has an 86% overall customer satisfaction rating.
The NV Energy Demand Response Program Year 2013 Final Evaluation Results report (Docket no. 14-07007 as filed with the Nevada PUC) submitted by ADM Associates Inc. assessed both demand and energy savings achieved by NV Energy’s active commercial and residential DR programs in its Southern Nevada service territory in 2013. The mPowered program, which provides communicating thermostats and EcoFactor’s optimization service and remote management tools to NV Energy’s residential customers, launched in October 2012 and had 14,500 customers participating and 21,000 thermostats installed by the end of 2013. NV Energy continues to expand the program, with more than 22,000 customers and more than 34,000 thermostats now deployed.
Mary Placido is the PR manager for EcoFactor.
Enter your comments in the box below:
(Please note that all blog entries and comments are subject to review prior to posting.)
While we will do our best to monitor all comments and blog posts for accuracy and relevancy, Home Energy is not responsible for content posted by our readers or third parties. Home Energy reserves the right to edit or remove comments or blog posts that do not meet our community guidelines.