California Sets Biggest Energy Efficiency Plan in the Nation
- Southern California Edison,
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company,
- San Diego Gas and Electric Company, and
- Southern California Gas Company.
The Staggering Statistics: The goal is to save
- 7,000 gigawatt hours,
- 1,500 megawatts, and
- 150 million metric therms of natural gas.
What is CalSPREE? Included in the large launch is the arm of the program called CalSPREE, which stands for California Statewide Program for Residential Energy Efficiency. Goals for CalSPREE are to increase the energy performance by 20% for up to 130,000 existing California homes in that three-year time period. According to the document, "DECISION APPROVING 2010 TO 2012 ENERGY EFFICIENCY PORTFOLIOS AND BUDGETS," the Strategic Plan's goals for the residential sector are
- Home buyers, owners and renovators will implement a whole-house approach to energy consumption that will guide their purchase and use of existing homes, home equipment (e.g., HVAC systems), household appliances, lighting, and “plug load” amenities.
- Plug loads will be managed by developing consumer electronics and appliances that use less energy and provide tools to enable customers to understand and manage their energy demand.
- The residential lighting industry will undergo substantial transformation through the deployment of high-efficiency and high performance lighting technologies, supported by state and national codes and standards.
To read the full document, "DECISION APPROVING 2010 TO 2012 ENERGY EFFICIENCY PORTFOLIOS AND BUDGETS" go to: http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PUBLISHED/AGENDA_DECISION/107378.htm
For more info on the CPUC: www.cpuc.ca.gov.
Enter your comments in the box below:
(Please note that all blog entries and comments are subject to review prior to posting.)